A RESPONSIVE LEADER FOR COLLEGE WARD
Hello! I’m your neighbour, Laine Johnson. I live in College Ward with my husband and two children. As a long-term resident of Ottawa, my community involvement and career have focussed on helping people create the communities and the city they want.
I’ve held leadership roles with Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation (CCOC), which works to create, maintain and promote housing for people with low and moderate incomes, and Synapcity, a non-profit dedicated to creating an inclusive culture of participation for the city of Ottawa.
My primary focus has been to identify and dismantle barriers that prevent community participation in decision-making. I believe that communities deserve a say in how they evolve and grow over time.
I want to use my leadership skills and experience building communities to represent College Ward on City Council.
On October 24, I hope you’ll give me your vote.
- As an Executive with CCOC, an affordable housing corporation managing over 50 properties, I supported asset management and renewal and provided leadership through an immediate revenue freeze due to the pandemic.
- As the Executive Director with Synapcity, I was responsible for business development, managed the organizational budget, secured funding and oversaw curriculum design and consultative services. I federally incorporated Synapcity and established its Board of Directors.
- As CoFounder of the Ottawa Community Land Trust, I federally incorporated the corporation and established the Board of Directors.
- As an Educator, I was a Professor at Algonquin College and also was a Civics Educator who taught “City Hall 101” to help communities navigate the machinery of the City.
- I have also worked as a Volunteer Coordinator with the Western Ottawa Community Resource Centre, a Policy Researcher with the Public Policy Forum and Box Office Staff with the Great Canadian Theatre Company.
- I have been a Volunteer with Citizens Academy, Ottawa Victims Services and the Ottawa Art Gallery.
WHY I AM THE RIGHT CANDIDATE FOR COLLEGE WARD
I’ve spent my entire career working with Ottawa residents to help them build the things that are important to their neighbourhoods. I believe people are an asset to decision-making.
I understand the need for open, proactive communication. That’s why I will hold regular drop-in hours at accessible locations, to ensure your voices are heard on the issues that matter to you. I will also send out a monthly e-newsletter to keep you in the loop on current and upcoming issues of interest, such as development proposals.
I drive and walk the streets of this ward with my family every day, so I see firsthand the dangerous intersections, lack of sidewalks, discontinuity of cycling and walking paths, and road maintenance needs. I will work to build safer, more people-centred neighbourhoods that preserve the accessibility of our recreation and green spaces.
I am deeply experienced in affordable housing and landlord-tenant issues through my work with CCOC. I will continue to advocate for a mix of housing options that ensures homes in College Ward are affordable, well-built, and accessible to everyone, no matter their needs or resources.
I believe in public transit, but it has to meet everyone’s needs, not just those in the downtown core. Why would someone spend 90 minutes taking two buses and a train when they can drive there in 20? I will work to make our transit system more effective and affordable.
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRIORITIES WITH ME!
I want to hear from you! Please reach out and share your priorities, concerns, and hopes for your community with me. Email me at [email protected]
We acknowledge the gift of being on Anishnabek territory and specifically on Algonquin Territory. We want to recognize the two closest Algonquin First Nation communities: Kitigan Zibi and the Algonquins of Pikwakanagan. We also recognize that today - Ottawa is a gathering place for First Nations, Inuit and Métis from across Canada. This land acknowledgement commits us to the relationship we are building together – through friendship and peace.